I'm always taking pictures of my grandchildren, my dog,
flowers, the clouds, family....whatever I can to 'capture and freeze the
moment' that I'm enjoying.
Someday a picture is all you will have left. Especially of the loved ones who leave this Earth.
This picture was
taken in July 2014. In the picture, left to right, is my momma (Rhona), myself
and my brother (Scot). A picture of the three of us together is few and far
between.
I was moving away to live closer to my son and we were celebrating with a group of close friends. This picture brings me so much joy.
It's a memory of
a great time.
Growing up, the times in my home weren't so great.
My momma and I had relationship, but truth be told it was very toxic.
Very toxic!
I could set her off in anger just as fast as she could set me off.
We are both extremely head strong and neither were willing to budge if there was an argument between us.
As, for my brother and I.... we were and are very different.
We didn't get along. We barely talked.
We both have friends who know us better than we know each other. Only recently, have we started talking more and it's not to get to know each other, it's to work together and provide the best care for our mother.
I think dysfunction happens in a lot of families. People just pretend they have the perfect family. Well, I don't pretend.
No need too. It is what it is.
I've learned to accept what my life was growing up.
I love both my momma and my brother. We're just not that ooey-gooey, all is hunky-dory, type family.
In scripture we are called to honor our mother and father.
"Honor you father and mother so that you'll live a long time in the land that GOD, your God, is giving you." Ex 20:12 (MSG)
This is one of the Ten Commandments. I don't think it was ever meant to be legalistic, but to assist us on the journey of drawing closer to God.
Lord knows, I didn't honor my momma for many years!!
I've come to learn that my momma is a product of a product. She only knows what she saw, learned, and felt in the ways she was treated as a child.
That's no disrespect to my grandparents or their parents. It's just the way it was.
As my momma is beyond the beginning stages of losing her memory, I am stepping into the position of her caregiver.
Something I said I would never do.
So come along for The Journey of Grace, Love and Joy.
~bo

This is a good pic of the three of you. I remember the night that it was taken. It was a fun night! I look forward to following your blog.
ReplyDeleteIt was a fun night!!! I miss those times and miss seeing you!
Delete